Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sunshine

I am writing in haste from Apollo Beach, Florida.

I very much wish that I had the natural talent to "live by my pen" and swallow myself up in whatever I thought was worth documenting at the time.

Today I learned that my good friend, my best friend no doubt, has been diagnosed with "Lewy Body Disease". What is there to say? There is no cure. Old age, inevitability, etc. I reluctantly, but very honestly, admit my fear of this affliction. The disease itself doesn't scare me. It's the flag that reminds me. It is kind of like someone is tickling you against your will. You laugh. It makes you uncomfortable. It doesn't kill you. It doesn't make you angry. It just annoys you. It reminds you.

I don't like being reminded that the truest friend I will ever have is in the twilight of her days. I don't know if I should be thankful that I have been blessed with the intelligence to recognize that friends like this are rare, and often nonexistent to a large majority of the population. Arguably the bigger curse is ignorance, but I like to think that this curse is only winning by a small margin. Smart men are much more conniving than those that earn their bread breaking stone. Poverty, even of the mind, is much more forgivable a sin than those sins that are advocated by the wealthier of men. That battle of the lesser of two evils may never be won. Ignorance may be bliss to some. I hate being convinced that I am not so fortunate.

The wick of my interest is burnt out. I have my own afflictions to investigate.

No comments: